Established in 1987 under the artistic direction of Michael Tilson Thomas, this unique educational initiative prepares gifted graduates of distinguished music programs for leadership positions in orchestras and ensembles around the world. Since its inaugural concert on February 4, 1988, the New World Symphony has been heard in such prestigious venues as New York’s Carnegie Hall and Avery Fisher Hall, London’s Barbican Centre, Paris’s Bastille Opera, and Argentina’s Teatro Colon.
New World Symphony (NWS) Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Performances/Programs: 65 given per season
- Ticket Prices: $10–$161
- Subscriptions: Offered for Friday–Sunday concerts and other themed series. Selections include Symphony with a Splash, Concerts for Kids, Chamber Music, and Sounds of the Times. There may also be discounts on purchases of four performances or more. Subscriber benefits include preferred seating, a 20% discount on most additional single tickets, and ticket-exchange privileges
- Membership: Friends of New World Symphony membership begins at $250 and benefits include access for two people to six private events, a 10% discount on select NWS concerts, and complimentary tickets to music forums
- Activities for children: At selected children’s concerts, kids can come early and meet the musicians at the Instrument Petting Zoo, where children can see and play the instruments.