The North Carolina Master Chorale began in 1942 as the Raleigh Oratorio Society. In its over 60-year history, the NCMC has been committed to bringing the finest in choral music to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. Under the direction of Dr. Alfred E. Sturgis, the 170-member chorus and the 22-member chamber ensemble perform five major programs each season. Collaborating artistic organizations have included the Carolina Ballet and the North Carolina Symphony.
Season tickets are quite reasonable, as are single tickets, with senior and student discounts where applicable. Dedicated to supporting the arts in schools, members of the Chorale travel to area schools with Dr. Sturgis to present a “Choral Music Through the Ages” program that educates schoochildren about the rich history of the choral tradition.
North Carolina Master Chorale Information
- Venues: Progress Energy Center, Kenan Recital Hall (Peace College), Jones Chapel (Meredith College)
- Public Transportation: Varies depending on venue.
- Handicapped Accessibility: Varies depending on venue.
- Performances/Programs: Five programs each season
- Tickets: $16-35, Senior and Student discounts.
- Subscriptions: Full Season subscription: $86-95, Build-Your-Own Series available.
- Group Discounts: Yes. 8-10% discounts for groups of 8 or more.
- Other Discounts: Active-duty military personnel receive 10% discounts on advance tickets in the “Gold” and “Silver” sections.