This 55-year-old, 1500-seat, in-the-round theatre, located about 25 miles outside of Boston in Beverly, Mass., found itself heavily in debt in recent years and shuttered in 2009. But Bill Hanney, owner of Theatre by the Sea in Rhode Island as well as the chain of 10 New England multiplexes known as Entertainment Cinemas, came to North Shore’s rescue by purchasing the theatre and revamping its business structure. NSMT reopened in July 2010 with a production of Gypsy and continued its season with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, A Chorus Line, and its very popular annual presentation of A Christmas Carol.
Over the course of its history, North Shore has received many industry honors, including several Elliot Norton Awards and IRNE Awards, the Rosetta Le Noire Award from Actors’ Equity Association, and the Moss Hart Award. In addition to its musical subscription series, the theatre offers celebrity concerts and children’s programming. Under Hanney’s ownership, a new, a-la-carte restaurant has replaced the buffet-style restaurant previously located on site. The theatre itself was rebuilt after a serious fire in 2005.
North Shore Music Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (Take the Newburyport / Rockport rail line to Beverly Depot. From there it is a five-minute cab ride to NSMT)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. Assisted Listening Devices, Large Print and Braille programs are available at the Box Office at no charge
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 4 shows with multiple performances of each; 4–5 children’s shows during their Kid’s Summer Series
- Ticket Prices: Tickets range from $35–$65 depending on date and seat selection. For the Kid’s Summer Series, tickets range from $8–$12 depending on seat selection
- Subscriptions: Available for the full four-show season, and range from $126–$234 depending on date and seat selection.