Each season, the multiple Joseph Jefferson award-winning Northlight Theatre produces an interesting selection of smart plays, intimate musicals, and world premieres. Some of these new works are now being developed in-house with Northlight’s reading series, Interplay.
Northlight also has an overwhelming array of educational programs. Some, like the Student Theatre Arts Resource (STAR), are aimed at educating local students in the arts and giving them the opportunity to see professional productions at Chicago’s best theaters at an affordable price ($3–$12). Other offerings, such as the summer-camp sessions at the Northlight Theatre Academy (NTA), are great for any child interested in the arts, but for those who are more serious about getting into the biz, the NTA has classes in acting, improvisation, and vocal technique. There’s even an audition workshop for students grades 7–12 who want to learn more about getting into the Chicago entertainment industry ($675 for a one-week intensive).
Northlight Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (somewhat accessible via CTA, Skokie Swift Yellow Line, or bus)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performances Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $32–$56, student tickets (25 and under with valid ID) $20, group discounts available, free tickets for local hospitalized veterans, ticket exchanges are free (up to 5) for subscribers; $10 fee for non-subs
- Subscriptions: Five-Play subscription packages range from $99 to $275 (for opening nights). Benefits include one free ticket exchange per show and lost ticket replacement.