If you’re a fan of Gauguin, Matisse, Miró, Monet, Picasso, Hassam, Hopper, Manship, O’Keeffe, Pollock, or Sheeler, you won’t be disappointed by the NMA. With a collection of this caliber, as well as beautiful architecture, an ocean-side location, and a friendly staff, the NMA is an international destination for art appreciation.
Particularly noteworthy is the NMA’s Chinese art collection, one of the most impressive collections of its kind in the U.S. Another lesser-known aspect of the museum is its focus on provenance research (the goal being traceability of a particular piece from its creation to present day). This research puts many of the pieces in the collection into a fascinating historical and social context and adds tremendously to the overall accessibility and meaning of the holdings. Also adding to the museum’s cachet is an extensive selection of programs and tours geared toward children (the museum is particularly known for its docent-led tours catering to school groups).
Norton Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m., Sunday 1–5 p.m., closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: $8, children (13–21) $5, children (under 13) free; special exhibits are slightly more expensive with regular tickets at $12 and children (13–21) at $5. Groups of 15 or more may schedule two weeks in advance for private, discounted, docent-led tours. Palm Beach residents are admitted free to the Norton collection every Saturday
- Tours: Free guided docent-led tours of the museum’s collection and certain exhibitions are offered daily 2–3 p.m. Lunchtime Lecture tours, docent-led themed tours, are offered Monday–Friday 12:30–1 p.m. October through May
- Membership: Individual membership is $70 and provides basic benefits for one, including free unlimited year-round admission, complimentary tickets to selected special events, invitations to members-only exhibition previews, and an express admission line. Household membership is offered for $100
- Other Benefits: Reciprocal membership to more than 50 museums is available at the Contributor membership level ($250) and above.