Oklahoma City Ballet began as a civic organization in 1963 under the artistic direction of Yvonne Chouteau and Miguel Terekhov, two former dancers of the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. In the years since, the company has undergone numerous organizational transformations and several name changes, most recently in 2008 when Robert Mills, a former dancer with the company, was appointed as its new artistic director. Under Mills’ guidance, Oklahoma City Ballet has partnered with 21st century choreographers to produce new work, thus reinventing itself as a company that can not only recreate classical masterpieces but also stretch the limits of contemporary ballet.
Oklahoma City Ballet Information
- Performance Venue: The company usually performs at Civic Center Music Hall, 201 N. Walker Avenue in downtown Oklahoma City.
- Public Transportation: Fair
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: The company presents five to seven ballets per season, with most enjoying two to three performances. The company also presents The Nutcracker multiple times during the holiday season. Schedule varies.
- Admission: Range from $29-$45 per performance. Discounted rates are available for seniors, students, and groups.
- Subscription/Memberships: Three and four show packages are offered starting at $57 per season. Discounted senior, student, and group subscriptions are also available. Season ticket holders enjoy preferred seating, exchange privileges, and free replacement in the event tickets are lost or stolen.