Multi-arts presenter On the Boards (OtB) has been a strong creative presence in Seattle since 1978. Its mission has been to promote the development of contemporary performances that cross between the disciplines of music, theatre and dance. Artists featured by OtB have included Laurie Anderson, Bill T. Jones, Mark Morris and Jan Fabre, among many developing contemporary performers.
OtB presents two series of performances each season; the Inter/National Series offers performances of dance, music, theatre and everything between from around the world, while the Northwest Series focuses on commissioning and presenting the work of artists and companies from the Pacific Northwest. Additional activities include the NW New Works Festival (a 2-week festival of new contemporary performance by regional artists), 12 Minutes Max (a monthly showcase of short works), and OntheBoards.tv, an online platform featuring on-demand video recordings of contemporary performances.
Located in Seattle’s lower Queen Anne neighborhood, the Behnke Center for Contemporary Performance has been the home of On the Boards since 1998. It occupies the historic Queen Anne Hall, built in 1912 and home to various local arts companies since the 1960s. The Behnke contains two performance venues; the 300-seat Merril Wright Mainstage Theater, and the 84-seat Studio Theater; where OtB presents all of its programs.
On the Boards Information
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible by a number of public bus routes)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Two event series (Inter/National Series and Northwest Series) totaling approximately forty programs per year, with a total of over 100 performances
- Ticket Prices: Inter/National Series $25; Northwest Series $20
- Subscriptions: Complete series subscription $240; Inter/National Series only $140; Northwest Series only $110; Pick-6 subscription (pick any 6 performances from either series, at least 2 shows each series) $126.