Since 1945, the Delaware opera company has performed such timeless works as Puccini’s Tosca, Verdi’s La Traviata, Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro, and Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess. There are also free lectures for adults, multifaceted educational programs for young students that include classroom workshops and visits to rehearsals, and the cabaret-esque Studio Series concerts.
- Venues: The Grand Opera House (818 N. Market Street); OperaDelaware Studios (4 South Poplar Street)
- Public Transportation: Excellent for both. The Grand Opera House (a short walk from DART buses 3, 8, 12, 19, 22, 34, 301, and 423 at 8th Street/King Street; and bus 32 at Market Street/8th Street). OperaDelaware Studios (a short walk from Amtrak and SEPTA trains, and several DART buses at the Amtrak Wilmington Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both venues
- Performances/Programs: 10–12 performances per season
- Ticket Prices: $25–$71 depending on event and seat selection
- Membership: Silver Circle ($250); Gold Circle ($500); Diamond Circle ($1,000); Directors Circle ($2,500); Founders Circle ($5,000); Benefactors ($7,500); and Angels ($10,000). Depending on level, benefits include name recognition; invitations to orchestra rehearsals; private backstage tours of The Grand Opera House, the costume shop, and OperaDelaware Studios; concierge service to arrange dinner reservations, limousine service, flowers or other special touches for your night at the opera.