Formerly known as the San Diego Chamber Orchestra, Orchestra Nova San Diego strives to expand the local classical music audience beyond downtown San Diego to include communities in the North County region. The ensemble of over 35 musicians performs six “Nova Classics” programs each season from October through May, as well four programs as part of its sought-after “POPS!” series at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido. Orchestra Nova also works to further cast off the austerity and inaccessibility frequently associated with classical music through $10 student tickets and its annual Orchestra Festivals—the only student festival of its kind in California to feature master classes from a professional orchestra.
- Venues: St. Paul’s Cathedral Downtown, 2728 Sixth Avenue, San Diego; Sherwood Auditorium Museum of Contemporary Art, 700 Prospect Street, La Jolla; Irwin M. Jacobs Qualcomm Hall, 5775 Morehouse Drive, San Diego
- Public Transportation: Good for each location. St. Paul’s Cathedral Downtown (steps from buses 3 and 120 from 5th Avenue/Nutmeg Street; and a 5-minute walk from bus 11 at 1st Avenue/Nutmeg Street). Sherwood Auditorium Museum of Contemporary Art (a 6-minute walk from bus 30 at Pearl Street/Draper Avenue). Irwin M. Jacobs Qualcomm Hall (easily accessible from buses 880, 921, and 972)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for each location
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 10 per season with multiple performances of most
- Ticket Prices: Admission varies widely depending on date, show, and venue.