As ballet companies go, PNB is certainly one of the best, and best-regarded, in the United States. It features a sundry collection of work by some of the biggest names in dance, including William Forsythe, Mark Morris, Twyla Tharp, and Christopher Wheeldon.
More recently this company has really taken advantage of the Internet and its various resources to bring itself to audiences via YouTube, MySpace, and the dancers’ self-created website, PNB Unleashed. The site, managed by four PNB company members, reveals some of the interesting inner workings of the company, as well as the dancers’ day-to-day process in preparation for performance. Additionally, it offers a blog maintained exclusively by PNB artistic director Peter Boal, personal interviews with company dancers, and invitations for web readers to send questions and/or commentary. For the more local Seattle community, PNB has developed materials for teachers to incorporate into school classrooms and has initiated a variety of lecture-type series for interested audience members.
Pacific Northwest Ballet (PNB) Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/ Programs: Six programs each year. Each show runs for two weeks with about eight performances
- Ticket Prices: $25–$155. Half-price tickets are available to students and seniors beginning 90 minutes prior to performances
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10 or more can save up to 20% on tickets
- Other Discounts: For select Friday-evening shows, patrons under 25 can get single tickets for $15 or two tickets for $25. Youths 13–18 can also purchase $5 tickets to PNB performances by joining Seattle Center’s Teen Tix program
- Subscriptions: Full-season subscriptions for all six shows or mini-season subscriptions for four or five shows are available. Subscribers save up to 20%. Sales are final. Subscribers can exchange tickets for free up to 24 hours prior to a performance. Benefits include discounts at nearby restaurants, free upgrade seating vouchers, discounts on additional single tickets, free ticket exchanges, prepaid reserved parking, and pre-performance lectures
- Membership: Annual membership starts at $100 and includes an invitation to a dress rehearsal, recognition in PNB’s annual report, admission to PNB’s annual meeting, and priority season-ticket purchases. Backstage Pass is the membership organization for young people in their 20s and 30s. Benefits for members in Backstage Pass include subscription discounts and social/educational events throughout the year.