The Pasadena Symphony Association has been in existence since 1928, but it was not until 2007 that the Symphony welcomed the Pasadena POPS into the fold, resulting in what is now known as Pasadena Symphony and POPS. The middle school-aged Pasadena Youth Symphony Orchestra has been part of the organization since 1972.
While the organization has an effective programming tandem in its Symphony Classics series—with compositions by Erich Korngold, Richard Strauss, Edward Elgar, and others—and its POPS Summer series, led by Pops titan Marvin Hamlisch, there are also multiple free concert offerings. These events include the summer performance Music Under the Stars, the public preview ArtNight, and more.
Pasadena Symphony and POPS Information
- Other Venues: Summer concerts are on the lawn adjacent to the Rose Bowl. Additional venues vary for special events
- Public Transportation: Good for Ambassador Auditorium (a 3-minute walk from Metro buses 180 and 181, and ARTS bus 10 at Colorado Boulevard/St. John Avenue), and the Summer concerts venue (a short walk from ARTS bus 51 and 52 at Seco Street/Rosemont Avenue). Other venues vary
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for all locations
- Performances/Programs: Five Symphony Classics performances, four POPS Summer performances, one free Target Music Under the Stars concert, and one Holiday Candlelight performance
- Ticket Prices: Symphony Classics ($30–$80); POPS Summer Concerts ($10–$90; Table for 6, $336–$540; Table for 10, $560–$900); Holiday Candlelight ($30–$125) with prices varying by seat selection. Children 14 and under $10; student rush tickets are $10. Senior rush tickets are available for $15 for 2 p.m. concerts only
- Subscriptions: Symphony Classics 3-concerts ($90–$240); 4-concerts ($120–$320); 5-concerts ($150–$400). All four POPS Summer concerts ($40–$360); Table for 6 ($1,344–$2,160); Table for 10 ($2,240–$3,600). Subscriber benefits include priority seating, free ticket exchange, and Dining Club discounts. Additionally, Student SoundCheck Cards, which admits cardholders to all Symphony or POPS concerts for $30
- Donations: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated. Donors of $1,500+ receive complimentary parking and invitations to receptions. Additionally, donors of $100+ receive program recognition.