Paul Taylor is one of today’s most popular choreographers. Not only is his work well-loved, but it’s widely seen, having been performed in all 50 states and an impressive 62 countries. His company has also appeared on nine PBS programs, including the Emmy Award-winning “Speaking in Tongues.”
Through the establishment of his second company, Taylor 2, Paul Taylor has gone to great lengths to ensure that his work can be viewed by all types of audiences, regardless of economic or technical limitations. Taylor 2’s performances are flexible and can be customized to meet the needs of each community, often also including master classes, lecture demonstrations, and performances in non-traditional venues.
Before each Sunday matinée at New York City Center, everyone with tickets to that afternoon’s performance is invited to attend a free 45-minute discussion. Talks center around Taylor’s work, but guest speakers can be interesting, having included such people as New York Post dance critic Clive Barnes, former New York Times dance critic Anna Kisselgoff, and P.D.Q. Bach.
The Paul Taylor Company also offers occasional family matinée programs that include a performance and explanatory comments. Tickets for these educational events run about $25 for adults and $10 for children under 17.
Paul Taylor Dance Company Information
- Venues: New York City Center, 130 West 56th Street; this company also tours frequently both nationally and internationally
- Public Transportation: Very good for New York City Center (Easily accessible by subway lines N, Q, and R at 57th Street/7th Avenue; the F at 57th Street; the B, D, and E at 7th Avenue/53rd Street; and buses M5, M7, M20, M31, M57, and M104). Other venues vary
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The Paul Taylor Company maintains a repertoire of 52 different dance pieces including Taylor’s signature work, Esplanade. The company travels to about 30 different locations each year and spends one-three days in each, performing a selected few pieces
- Ticket Prices: Tickets are sold directly through presenting venues and generally run between $15 and $85
- Membership: The basic donor fee is $50 and includes opportunities to purchase priority seats for performances at New York City Center, a membership card offering a 10% discount on Taylor merchandise, a subscription to the newsletter, and invitations to special events throughout the year. All donations are fully tax-deductible
- Special Young Adult Membership: The Young Patrons Committee was established to introduce people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s to Paul Taylor’s work. This committee helps plan events and reaches out to friends and associates. Paul Taylor hosts two exclusive Young Patrons events a year and offers specially priced Young Patrons tickets to the Annual New York Season Gala.