When the Philadelphia Theatre Company isn’t presenting world premieres by distinguished playwrights and artists such as Terrence McNally, David Ives, and Bill Irwin, it’s producing the Philly premieres of plays and musicals by equally distinguished writers such as Wendy Wasserstein and William Finn, as well as work by emerging talents such as Lynn Nottage and Gina Gionfriddo. PTC’s allegiance is to the American playwright and it helps to give them voice through the STAGES New Play Reading Series, which has already helped develop over 80 new pieces (some of which were eventually produced on the Philadelphia Theatre stage.) Also at PTC, the Career Development Initiative gives aspiring theater professionals on-the-job training in production, administration, and other facets of the production process through internships and high-school independent-study projects.
PTC attends to its audience through events, like the LGBT pre-show Night OUT! receptions and Meet-the-Artist panels. A special program known as NEXT: Young Patrons of Philadelphia Theatre Company brings together young professionals aged 26–40 who share a love of the arts and are looking for opportunities to socialize with other PTC supporters (membership to NEXT is $150, which includes a Four-pass Flex subscription). Meanwhile the Community Audience Program, in conjunction with various local social-service organizations, gives people who wouldn’t normally be able to go to the theater a chance to enjoy the entire season as a subscriber.
Philadelphia Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (easily accessible by SEPTA and PATCO)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $46–$58, $10 student Rush tickets, $25 rear-mezzanine tickets for students, discounts for seniors available, occasional pay-what-you-can performances offered, discounts for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Four-Show $132–$192 and Four-Pass Flex $136–$196; Young Flex (for 25 and younger) $60. Benefits include free ticket exchanges, free ticket insurance, and discounts for parking, restaurants, shopping, and cultural institutions.