The Phoenix Art Museum (PAM) is Arizona’s largest and most diverse museum, containing over 18,000 works of American, European, Asian, Latin American and contemporary art, and more. Opened in 1959, PAM has undergone several additions to the original building, all by renowned architects Tod Williams/Billie Tsien and Associates; the current facility occupies over 203,000 square feet. The Museum contains several galleries, which feature numerous rotating exhibitions of works from the museum’s permanent collection as well as works on loan and traveling exhibitions.
The PAM also offers workshops (in sketching, writing, photography and more), a busy lecture series, film presentations, and performances of music and dance. Members enjoy special museum hours, sneak previews of future exhibitions, and other special events, in addition to discounts on admission, special events, the Museum Store, and the Museum’s official restaurant, Arcadia Farms.
Phoenix Art Museum Information
- Public Transportation: Good (less than a 1-minute walk from the METRO Light Rail and buses 0, 17, 512, and GAL at the Central Avenue/McDowell Rd. stop)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Wednesday, 10 a.m.–9 p.m.; Thursday–Saturday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.; Sunday, noon–5 p.m.; First Friday evenings, 6–10 p.m.; Closed Monday & Tuesday
- Admission: Adults, $10; Seniors/College Students, $8; Children (ages 6-17), $4; Children under 6 and museum members, free
- Free Day: Voluntary donation, First Friday evenings 6–10 p.m., Wednesday evenings 3–9 p.m.
- Tours: Three separate guided tours (South Wing Overview, Featured Exhibition Tour, and Masterworks in the South Wing) available every day at noon; tours are repeated on Wednesdays at 6 p.m.; Group tours (over 10 people) available by appointment, and must be scheduled at least 5 weeks in advance
- Membership: Various membership levels are available, starting at $75/year ($40 for students); benefits include free admission, exhibition previews, museum store and restaurant discounts, magazine subscription and discounts on workshops, classes, lectures and more.