One of the largest havens for the ‘Big Broadway Musical’ on the east coast, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera has been bringing exceptional talent and spectacle to Pennsylvania audiences since 1946. Since its early days under an outdoor summer tent, to its current home in the beautiful Benedum Theatre, Pittsburgh’s eight show season offers the best in grand scale entertainment, featuring an ‘all star’ roster of New York and local talent. Past alumni to grace PCLO’s stages include: Shirley Jones, Chita Rivera, Sutton Foster and Rob Marshall. In 2004, the company debuted its “CLO Cabaret at Theatre Square,” an intimate 230 seat venue offering extended run of small show favorites like Forbidden Broadway and Nunsense. A top training academy, and an active development program for new musicals round out PCLO’s continued devotion to the arts.
Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera (Pittsburgh CLO) Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/ Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $20–$60, college students $12, college faculty/staff $14
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Six-Show $111–$327; Three-Show $55.50–$163.50, CLO Cabaret $100–$220. Benefits include free exchanges, reserved parking, ticket insurance, discounts to local restaurants, discounts on additional CLO tickets for family and friends, and a subscriber standby policy: If you can’t make a show, you can take your unused ticket to a future performance a half-hour before the show to get any available second-tier seat.