In the new millennium, Playwrights Horizons finds itself overshadowed a bit by the bigger non-profits that now reside on Broadway, but it has long held a well-deserved reputation for producing bold new works. Past artistic successes have included musicals Grey Gardens, Floyd Collins, Assassins, Falsettos, and Sunday in the Park with George, and the plays I Am My Own Wife, Driving Miss Daisy, and The Heidi Chronicles.
Playwrights continues to put forth a slate of entirely new work each season, and it’s one of the rare theaters that accepts unsolicited scripts from playwrights—though you wouldn’t necessarily know it some years, when all the shows are by established names. Playwrights is constantly developing new plays and musicals through readings and commissions and it educates performers through the Playwrights Horizons Theater School at New York University.
In 2003, Playwrights Horizons moved into its new home, a state-of-the-art facility on West 42nd St. (“Theatre Row”), which houses a mainstage and a studio theater. Also located there is Ticket Central, a box office that sells tickets for Off- and Off-Off-Broadway shows and events, as well as tickets for Playwrights Horizons’ own productions.
Playwrights Horizons Information
- Public Transportation: Good (convenient to subway lines A, C, and E at 42nd Street/Port Authority; N, Q, R, S, 1, 2, 3, and 7 at 42nd Street/Times Square; and buses M11, M16, M20, M42, and M104)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $50–$65, $15 student Rush, Live For Five Lottery $5 tickets to first preview of each show distributed via online lottery, Hot Tix limited number of $20 tickets sold one hour prior to showtime to 30-and-unders, group discounts available, discounts occasionally available on Goldstar.com
- Subscriptions: Silver Pass $320 (one ticket to each of the six shows), Four-show ($160–$195) and Six-Show ($225–$260). FlexPass Four-Show ($200) and Six-Show ($270), Flex $40 or $60 for students; $80 or $120 for 30-and-unders. Subscriber benefits include ticket exchanges and discounts on dining and parking.