Pocket Opera provides a straightforward approach to opera, with the hope that the audience will leave with a better understanding and appreciation for the production and the art form itself. English translations often replace original librettos, and introductions and narratives are added to offer a deeper explanation of the story. The productions are intimate and modest, with a chamber orchestra of 15 or fewer musicians. The multi-talented Donald Pippin founded Pocket Opera, serves as its artistic director, narrates and plays piano for the productions, and has translated dozens of major and lesser-known operas to English for the company.
Pocket Opera Information
- Venues: Marines Memorial Theater (609 Sutter Street, San Francisco); Berkeley Hillside Club (2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley); First Unitarian Universalist Church (1187 Franklin Street, San Francisco); Daffodil Restaurant (665 Bush Street, San Francisco)
- Public Transportation: All venues are easily accessible. Marines Memorial Theater (steps from buses 2, 3, and 76 at Sutter Street/Mason Street; a short walk from Cable Cars PM and PH at the Powell Street/Sutter Street Station; a 6-minute walk from the California Street bus at Mason Street; and a 7-minute walk from several buses, light rail lines F, J, K, L, M, N, and T, and BART trains at the Powell Station). Berkeley Hillside Club (a 2-minute walk from AC Transit bus 67 at Oxford Street/Cedar Street; a 5-minute walk from AC Transit buses 7, 18, and FS at Shattuck Avenue/Cedar Street; an 8-minute walk from AC Transit buses 52, 65 and F, and Bear Transit lines C, P, and R at Hearst Avenue/Arch Street; and a 17-minute walk from the BART Downtown Berkeley Station). First Unitarian Universalist Church (steps from buses 38 and 38L at Geary Blvd./Franklin Street; a 2-minute walk from buses 47 and 49 at Geary Blvd./Van Ness Avenue, and buses 2 and 3 at Post Street/Gough Street). Daffodil Restaurant (steps from Cable Cars PH and PM at the Powell Street/Bush Street stop; a 2-minute walk from buses 2, 3, and 76 at Powell Street/Sutter Street and the California Street bus at Powell Street; and a 3-minute walk from buses 8AX, 8BX, 8X, 30, and 45 at Stockton Street/Sutter Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (all venues)
- Performances/Programs: Six productions per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $35; youth tickets $20, seniors $31
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Full Six-show subscription is $174. Mini subscriptions (four or five operas) also available for $30 per show. Subscriber benefits include great seats, flexible ticket exchanges, lost ticket insurance, and unlimited single ticket add-on for $30 each
- Membership: Available from $250–$10,000 and up. Members receive all subscriber benefits, plus extra benefits when donating $500 or more.