Since its foundation in 1994 as Porchlight Theatre Ensemble, this company has produced nearly 40 shows, including five world premieres and four Chicago premieres. In 1996 the company refined its mission to focus exclusively on musical theatre, and in 2000 its name was changed to Porchlight Music Theatre Chicago.
Over the past decade, Porchlight has gone from performing in a mix of venues to a three-year tenure at the Athenaeum to its present home at Stage 773 (formerly Theatre Building Chicago). The company’s acclaimed productions have included Sweeney Todd, Ragtime,Candide, and Nine, and it has presented additions to its season at Chicago’s Theatre on the Lake and the Metropolis Performing Arts Center in Arlington Heights. Porchlight has been an Equity contract theater since its 10th anniversary season in 2004-2005.
Porchlight Music Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performances Friday–Sunday, with opening nights on Monday
- Ticket Prices: $34–$35, student and senior discounts available
- Subscriptions: Subscription to all three plays for $75–$85. Benefits include invites to open dress rehearsals, a season flex pass, and free ticket exchanges (with 48 hours notice).