Portland Center Stage’s sensibilities skews traditional, with most seasons sporting a Shakespeare, a classic American musical or drama, a Christmas-themed show, and a mix of costume dramas and plays by the world’s great dramatists. But PCS has been expanding its season to include more contemporary plays and musicals. PCS also entices younger theatergoers by offering significantly discounted tickets and season subscriptions to 18-and-unders (and some discounts to 30-and-unders as well).
In 2006, Portland Center Stage moved into the historic Portland Armory, where it has a new 599-seat mainstage theater, a 200-seat black box, and a nifty café where you can get a pre-show bite. For a couple of weeks in the summer, the Armory gets festive when “JAW: A Playwrights Festival”, invites people to take in play readings and site-specific performances, participate in free workshops, and learn about Portland’s many theater companies at the Theater Fair.
Portland Center Stage (PCS) Information
- Public Transportation: Very good
- Handicapped Accessible: Yes
- Performance/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday through Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $23 – $68, discounts available for students and people 18 years of age and under, some shows have discounts for people 30 years of age and under, discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: 3-Show ($50-139), 6-Show ($135-399), 9-Show ($185-538) and 8-admission Flexpass ($196 – $532) available, subscription discounts for students, 30-and-unders and 18-and-unders. Subscriber benefits include ticket exchanges and discounts for local theaters (Portland Opera, Oregon Ballet Theatre and Oregon Symphony).