Maine’s foremost professional theatre, Portland Stage Company presents seven mainstage shows annually. Pulling from an eclectic mixture of traditional (The Lion in Winter, A Christmas Carol), classic (Peer Gynt, Julius Caesar), and contemporary world premieres (Almost Maine, Out of Sterno), PSC has built a solid reputation as one of New England’s finest dramatic companies.
Originally launched in 1974, Portland Stage now plays to an audience of nearly 50,000 patrons each year from its home in Portland’s downtown arts district. In addition to its lauded mainstage season, PSC’s other theatrical offerings include a three-show experimental Studio Series and a successful New Work Development program, encompassing readings by local and international artists, a young writers project, and the Little Festival of the Unexpected, pushing the boundaries of what is possible on the American stage.
As a center for Maine’s cultural arts, PSC’s outreach and education programs include summer training camps, as well as year-round classroom workshops and student matinees.
Portland Stage Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (there is a city bus stop across the street)
- Handicapped Accessible: Yes
- Hours: Performance schedule is Tuesday – Sunday
- Admission: Performance schedule is Tuesday – Sunday
- Membership/Subscriptions: Subscriptions are $138 – $195.Gold Pass subscription (6 tickets) costs $200.Subscription discounts available for students and seniors
- Other Benefits: Subscriber benefits include exchange privileges, free parking in the Gateway Garage, $5 discount on additional mainstage tickets, discounts on other productions, and one-time handling charge for entire season