(June 22 – July 29, 2012) Operating as a partnership between New York Stage and Film and Vassar College, the Powerhouse Theater Festival has taken over Vassar’s campus every summer since 1985 for two months of plays and musicals in formats ranging from workshops to full-scale stage productions. No slouch when it comes to quality, over its history the Powerhouse has premiered fourteen different works by Pulitzer winner John Patrick Shanley, along with the apprentice work of dozens of other budding theatrical heavyweights – Christopher Durang, Steve Martin, Theresa Rebeck and Eric Bogosian among them.
Powerhouse Theater (Poughkeepsie, NY) Information
- Public Transportation: Poor (You can take Amtrak, Metro North, or Coach–ShortLine bus to the Poughkeepsie stop, then catch a taxi to Vassar College)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Around 15 shows/events, with over 60 performances, per season
- Ticket Prices: $35 for Mainstage shows, $30 for Martel Musicals, $20 for the Inside Look Series shows, and free for festival readings
- Subscriptions: Mainstage subscription is $59.50; Full Subscription is $170 and allows you to see all Mainstage shows, Martel Musicals, Inside Look shows, and festival readings.