Rattlestick makes its home in a walk-up theater in Greenwich Village. An odd feature of the venue is that the only restroom is located more or less backstage. Despite this unprepossessing space, the company has been successful in its mission to develop and produce innovative new plays, including The Last Sunday in June, Finer Noble Gases, American Sligo, Steve & Idi, Geometry of Fire, and the Obie Award-winning Saved or Destroyed, Volunteer Man, and The Aliens.
Over the course of its existence, Rattlestick has presented nearly 50 world premiere productions. The theater’s circle of playwright and artist mentors has included Edward Albee, Jon Robin Baitz, Zoe Caldwell, Arthur Kopit, Craig Lucas, and Adam Rapp. In addition to its mainstage season, Rattlestick runs an Emerging Playwrights Program through its literary department, plus workshops and retreats for writers.
Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (easily accessible by subway lines 1, 2, and 3 at 14th Street; F and M at 14th Street/6th Avenue; L at 6th Avenue; PATH at 9th Street; and buses M5, M7, M8, M11, M14, and M20)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Poor. Theater is located on the second floor, and is not readily accessible
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Regular tickets are $55
- Membership: Several memberships are available under two options. The Pay Once Memberships range from $130 (Staged Reading Membership) to $1,500 (Mainstage Production Membership). Each membership under this option receives one-two tickets for each performance, discounts on guest tickets, free ticket exchange, and more. There are two Pay As You Go Memberships. The first is the Rehearsal Membership ($60) and benefits include $20 tickets to all mainstage productions (one ticket per membership), priority booking period, free ticket exchange, and free admission to all public readings. The second membership is the Under 30 Plan ($20) for patrons under 30 years of age and benefits include $15 tickets to all mainstage productions (one ticket per membership), an invitation to the Under 30 Members’ nights with meet and greet with playwright, director, cast, crew and staff, and more\.