In 1979, a stock company named Summerfest was created to present shows as part of the University of Alabama in Birmingham’s Town and Gown Theatre’s academic year. With its own Cabaret Theatre in the heart of downtown Birmingham, plus summer mainstage productions performed at the Virginia Samford Theatre (formerly Town and Gown), Summerfest soon grew into a year-round professional company that brought both local talent and nationally known performers to its stage. In 2007, the organization’s name was officially changed to the Red Mountain Theatre Company. Recent and upcoming shows include The Sound of Music, Cabaret, The Drowsy Chaperone, Five Guys Named Moe, and Hairspray.
Red Mountain Theatre Company Information
- Venues:Red Mountain Cabaret Theater, 301 19th Street North; Virginia Samford Theater, 1116 26th Street South
- Public Transportation: Very Good for Red Mountain Cabaret Theater (within a 5-minute walk from Central Station at Morris Ave./18th Street which is a stop for all BJCTA buses as well as Amtrak. Also accessible via the Dart Red line) Good for Virginia Samford Theater (easily accessible by BJCTA buses 12, 44, and 50)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at both venues
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 11 productions annually, with between 4-18 performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $20-35, depending on performance and seating
- Season Tickets: A variety of season packages are available, with 3, 4, & 5-show packages, full season packages (with an opening night option), and the Give Me Everything Package (including opening night admission to all season productions, plus all ‘add-on’ youth productions)
- Memberships available with donations beginning at $35. Benefits include special event invitations, priority seating, production previews and more with higher donations.