Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company, the brain-child of former University of Utah professors Shirley Ririe and Joan Woodbury, has had a strong presence in the landscape of American modern dance since its founding in 1964. The company has long-standing ties to treasured American choreographer Alwin Nikolais and in 2003 was chosen by the Nikolais-Louis Foundation as the official house of his choreographic legacy. In addition to touring extensively with Nikolais’ works, the company continues to perform its more contemporary repertoire, which includes works by such prominent choreographers as John Jasperse, Bill T. Jones, and Doug Varone.
Ririe Woodbury Dance Company also has a history of performing in politically charged areas of the world. In 1977 it became the first racially diverse performing group to tour South Africa. The company performed in East Germany one month prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall, becoming the first modern dance company to perform in Karl-Marx Stadt (now Chemnitz) in 15 years. In 1993, Ririe Woodbury performed a benefit fundraiser in Slovenia for Bosnian war refugees.
Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (theater is easily accessible by TRAX and UTA) buses)
- Handicapped Accessible: Yes.
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 4 different programs per year with 2 to 5 performances of each.
- Ticket Prices: Tickets generally run about $30. Students and seniors can get half- price tickets for most shows. On opening nights, middle and high school students can get $5 tickets. Student discount season packages are also available. Discounts are available for groups of 6 or more, with ticket prices reduced to $15 or $25.
- Subscriptions: For $80, patrons can see one performance of each season program. Patrons can either choose the performance date at the time of ordering or they can order vouchers which can be used at the box office instead of pre-printed tickets. Subscribers save up to 30% off regular ticket price. Other subscriber benefits include discount coupons for friends, priority seating, convenient ticket exchange policies, access to pre-performance rehearsals, intermission receptions and discounts for other specially scheduled events.
- Membership: There is no annual membership/donor fee. Donations are welcome in any amount and can be applied to general company support or specifically applied to season production, education, or touring.