Rubicon Theatre Company made its debut in 1998 with a concert performance of Jesus Christ Superstar at Ventura Concert Theatre, starring Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson, the stars of the film version. The following year, the company inaugurated its permanent home — a historic 1920s converted church – with a production of Shirley Valentine, and the company was declared the “anchor of the new downtown cultural district” by the Ventura City Council. Among the notables who have appeared in Rubicon shows over the years are John Ritter, Harold Gould, Linda Purl, Stephanie Zimbalist, and Jack Lemmon (in his final stage performance, opposite his wife, Felicia Farr, in A.R. Gurney’sLove Letters).
Rubicon Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Good (steps from Gold Coast Transit bus line 6 at Laurel Street/Main Street and a 4-minute walk from bus 16 at Thompson Blvd./Laurel Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Poor (house is accessible, but no handicapped restrooms or parking)
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $29–$57, seniors get $5 discount (except for previews), $20 tickets for students and members of Actors Equity. Discounts are available for groups of 12 or more
- Subscriptions: Six-Play $161–$278, Seven-Play $185–$322, and Eight-Play packages $198–$345. Student and teacher subscriptions are $120 (Six-Play), $140 (Seven-Play), and $160 (Eight-Play). Flex passes available $227–$366. Benefits include ticket exchanges and lost-ticket insurance.