Since 1995, the Rude Mechanicals have created a slew of original productions with the goal of mixing “big ideas, cheap laughs, and dizzying spectacle.” An ensemble-based company committed to the collaborative creation of new works for the stage, as well as to the development of young artists and new voices in the theatre, the Rude Mechs seek to present socially and politically conscious work, to blur the boundaries separating artistic genres, and to promote diversity in their ranks and in their audience.
The company tours nationally and abroad while maintaining The Off Center (an Austin performance venue) and running Grrl Action, an arts mentoring program for teenage girls. Among the Rude Mechanicals’ most notable shows have been Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the 20th Century, Requiem for Tesla, and Get Your War On.
Rude Mechanicals Information
- Other venues: Long Center for the Performing Arts
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 4-6 productions per season, each running between a week and several months in length. Select productions tour outside of Austin to venues along the East Coast. See website for more information.
- Admission: Tickets are available through Brown Paper Tickets. Please see the Rude Mechs website as showtimes approach for more detailed pricing information.