In a city that is increasingly known for its unusually dense and substantive cultural landscape, the Salvage Vanguard Theatre is a center for forward-thinking performances in a myriad of art forms. More than simply a performance venue, it is a gathering place for artists and audiences alike, where creative ideas are developed and exchanged.
The Salvage Vanguard Theatre building hosts performance series in music (Church of the Friendly Ghost) and theater (Gnap! Theater), including a number of ‘one-off’ plays, concerts and dance performances, as well as weekly yoga classes. The building also functions as an art gallery, displaying works by the many contemporary visual artists on the Austin scene.
A number of artistic projects, concert series and business initiatives are sponsored under the umbrella of SVT, an artist-run 501(C)(3) non-profit organization. Interdisciplinary artistic exchange is another part of SVT’s vision; visitors might see an exhibition of art or photography, complimented by live performances of music, dance or both.
Salvage Vanguard Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (Accessible by #20 bus)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 500 events annually.
- Ticket Prices: Vary (free-$20) depending on event.
- Subscription/Memberships: Donors (of $52 and up) receive benefits such as preferred seating, ticket discounts and behind-the-scenes events. All donations are tax-deductible.