From the orchestra’s legendary beginnings with Max Reiter’s exile from Italy in 1939 and subsequent journey to America, San Antonio Symphony has become one of the this country’s leading symphonic ensembles. In its over 70 year history, guest conductors have included Igor Stravinsky, Dmitri Mitropolous and Sir Thomas Beecham. Financial woes have plagued the orchestra in the past, but currently the ensemble has healthy backing from donors and regular subscribers. Under the direction of the electrifying Sebastian Lang-Lessing, the San Antonio Symphony continues to break new ground with superb programming and artistry.
San Antonio Symphony Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 35 performances per season.
- Admission: Varies ($10-65) depending on program and seating.
- Subscriptions: Available for the Pops and Classical series (series of six or seven concerts, respectively).
- Group Discounts: Yes, up to 50%.
- Other Discounts: Rush tickets are available, as well as discounts for students, seniors and military.