San Francisco Ballet is proud to be America’s oldest professional ballet company, dating back to 1933. What started as a regional ballet company is now one of the three largest ballet companies in the country and undoubtedly one of the most diverse. Under the direction of current artistic director, Helgi Tomassaon, this company has become an international success story.
The Ballet features leading interpreters, not only of George Balanchine’s classical ballets, but also of contemporary works by Nacho Duato, William Forsythe, and Mark Morris. In 2005, San Francisco Ballet won a Laurence Olivier Award for its fall season at London’s Sadler’s Wells Theatre. In 2006, it was the first non-European company to be voted “Company of the Year” by Dance Europe magazine.
The year 2008 marked San Francisco Ballet’s 75th anniversary. Celebratory events included hosting a New Works Festival with 10 new works by 10 choreographers and producing a televised Nutcracker project with KQED Public Television. The company is currently the spotlight of a curated exhibit at San Francisco International Airport and has released a commemorative book: San Francisco Ballet at 75.
San Francisco Ballet Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (a 5-minute walk from several buses, light rail lines F, J, K, L, M, N, and T, and BART trains at the Civic Center station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Eight programs a year, plus the annual Nutcracker. Each program runs for two weeks with seven performances. The Nutcracker runs for two-and-a-half weeks in December with performances almost every day
- Ticket Prices: Range from $25 to $250. Discounts for individual shows are available to seniors (68+), students, and military personnel on the day of the performance up until the hour before the performance
- Group Discounts: Groups of 20 or more can receive discounts to select performances. Flex and standard plans are available
- Subscriptions: Subscription packages are available for three, five, or eight shows. Only subscribers may exchange tickets free of charge up until 24 hours before a performance. Other benefits include a 15% discount at the Ballet Shop, discounts on additional single-ticket purchases, waived handling fees, a subscription to Backstage magazine, savings at local restaurants, and lost-ticket insurance
- Membership: Donor fees start at $75 and include a complimentary season program guide and a subscription to Backstage magazine
- Special Membership for Young Adults: ENCORE! is a membership program for young men and women. Annual membership is $75 and includes invitations to special events, preferred seating at select San Francisco Ballet performances, subscriptions to Backstage magazine and On Pointe newsletter, and special notice of Junior League previews during the repertory season.