Founded by Music Director Barbara Day Turner in 1991, the San José Chamber Orchestra (SJCO) makes a consistent effort to perform the works of living composers. To that end, the SJCO staff boasts seven guest composers, including Craig Bohmler, Vivian Fung, Henry Mollicone, and Hyo-shin Na. The chamber orchestra’s concert programs often present contemporary classical works alongside pieces by famous composers from eras past—providing greater context for the new works and an intriguing juxtaposition conducive to provocative discussion.
The ensemble has recently collaborated with sjDANCEco, and works regularly with The Choral Project for Winter’s Gifts Concerts. In addition to the 20-member SJCO, the organization also includes the San José Youth Chamber Orchestra, which performs an annual Side-by-Side Concert with members of its parent orchestra.
San Jose Chamber Orchestra (SJCO) Information
- Venues: Le Petit Trianon, 72 N 5th Street, San José; Winter’s Gifts concerts at Mission Dolores, 3321 16th Street, San Francisco; Mission Santa Clara, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for all venues; for accessibility at Le Petit Trianon, call SJCO ahead of time
- Performances/Programs: Five subscription concerts per year, plus Young Artist and Youth Orchestra concerts and two Winter’s Gifts Concerts
- Ticket Prices: For single tickets—adult ticket prices range from $40-60; Senior tickets (for patrons age 62 and over) from $35-55; Student tickets (for patrons age 22 and under) available for $10. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling the SJCO office
- SJ Arts Perk Program: Bring your ticket stub from another SJ Arts Perk organization and receive $5 off your SJCO ticket. Participating organizations include Ballet San José, Broadway San José, Children’s Musical Theatre San José, City Lights Theatre Company, Opera San José, San José Museum of Art, San José Repertory Theatre, Symphony Silicon Valley, and The Tech Museum
- Subscriptions: 3-concert Sampler Series at $160; benefits include priority seating, free ticket-exchange privileges, and lost-ticket protection
- Membership Levels: Friend—Under $150, Member—$150-299, Sponsor—$300-$499, Patron—$500 and up.