Founded in 1985, the Santa Cruz County Symphony (SCCS) performs standard classical fare for adults and children alike. In addition to its regular concert season, which showcases masterworks by composers such as Beethoven, Gershwin, Holst, and Liszt, the SCCS presents a Family Concert.
The ensemble also hosts an in-school education program for students which helps them to acclimate themselves to the concert experience. The program culminates in a performance featuring members of the Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony alongside the SCCS, followed by a “Meet the Instruments” event. This activity allows students and teachers to meet with the musicians and learn more about the orchestral instruments they play.
The orchestra is supported in part by the Symphony League of Santa Cruz County, which has benefited the SCCS since 1966. The League—which consists of nearly 200 members—organizes fundraising events, hosts Concert Previews featuring Music Director John Larry Granger and guest soloists prior to each concert program, volunteers at the Symphony Office, provides docents to organize and facilitate the symphony’s in-school education programs, and more. According to its website, the League’s goals include “expanding the awareness of appreciation of classical music in the county.”
* Venues: Civic Auditorium, 307 Church Street, Santa Cruz; Mello Center, 250 E. Beach Street, Watsonville
* Public Transportation: Good for both. Civic Auditorium (a short walk from SCMTD buses 13, 40, 41, and 42 at Center Street/Walnut Avenue and a 7-minute walk from several buses at the Santa Cruz Metro Station). Mello Center (a short walk from MST buses 69A and 79 at East Beach Street/Marchant Street; and an 8-minute walk from several buses at the Watsonville Transit Center)
* Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both
* Performances/Programs: Four programs/eight concerts, plus a Family Concert
* Ticket Prices: Single Concert Tickets $20-$65; discounts for students and seniors are available. Student Rush Tickets are available for $10 day-of-show—6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Civic Box Office, 12:30-1:30 p.m. at the Mello Box Office
* Subscriptions: Season subscriptions range from for $60-$165 for adults and from $49-$139 for students and seniors. Subscriptions may be purchased by snail mail, phone, or e-mail. Visit the SCCS Season Tickets page for more information
* Donations: Visit the Support page to make a donation or sponsor a concert.