(May 25 – September 2, 2012) Founded in 1978 and now launching its 34th season in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts in Lenox, Shakespeare & Company has a core group of more than 150 artists who receive in-depth training in classical performance style and methods. In addition to its presentation of works by the Bard, the company develops and produces new plays of social and political significance, and its educational programs seek to inspire a new generation of students and scholars to discover the resonance of Shakespeare’s truths in the modern world. Productions of particular note have included King Lear and The Taming of the Shrew, Peter Shaffer’s Lettice and Lovage, and the William Gibson play Golda’s Balcony. (MP)
Shakespeare & Company Information
- Venues: Founders’ Theatre (seats 406); Elayne P. Bernstein Theatre (seats 196); Rose Footprint Theatre/Bankside (large tent with bleacher seating and open ground for picnicking)
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 18–20 events per season with multiple performances of most
- Ticket Prices: $10–$85 depending on event, date, and seating selection. Seniors, Students, Teachers, Berkshire County Residents, and groups of 15 or more receive discounts
- Subscriptions: 3 Tickets for $99 gives you three tickets to see any show; Fall Festival of Shakespeare Student Pass ($30) and Adult Pass ($60) gives you tickets to each Fall Festival show.