Dedicated to creating “fearless, provocative, relevant theatre,” this company was born in 1992. For the first 13 years of its existence, the Shotgun Players performed in 44 different spaces, then in 2004 found a permanent home at the Ashby Stage in South Berkeley. SP presents at least one commissioned work its season, and the company is known for forming long-term relationships with playwrights and composers. Its 20th anniversary season in 2011 will consist entirely of commissioned works, including a new play by Obie Award winner Adam Bock, who serves as SP’s artistic adviser for new play development. Among the writers whose works have been presented by the Shotgun Players are John Tracy, Liz Duffy Adams, Marcus Gardley, and Pulitzer Prize finalist Eisa Davis.
Shotgun Players Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (easily accessible by BART and bus)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Thursday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $7–$25, first weekend of performances is pay what you can, shows available on Goldstar.com
- Subscriptions: Five-Show “Select Membership” subscription $80–$125, 38 Special (anyone 38 and younger) $60, Opening Week subscriptions are $60. Benefits include ticket exchanges.