(June 8 – July 7, 2012) In 1972, violinist Paul Rosenthal started what would become known as the Sitka Summer Music Festival as a reunion of students of master classes of Jascha Heifetz and Gregor Piatigorsky. Representative composers include Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, and Lizst. All the participating professional musicians perform at the festival as volunteers.
In addition to the summer festival each June in Sitka, there are two off-season series, Autumn Classics and Winter Classics, plus touring concerts in far-removed areas of Alaska during the winter months.
Sitka Summer Music Festival Information
- Additional Venues: Several venues are used when touring Alaska
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for most venues
- Performances/Programs: Eight Summer Festival concerts, plus 7 performances/two programs for the Alaska Airlines Autumn Classics series in September and three performances and one program for the Alaska Airlines Winter Classics in February
- Ticket Prices: Usually range from $15–$30
- Subscriptions: Season ticket are available for all concert series.