The Skirball Center has become known as one of the country’s leading Jewish cultural centers, devoted to exploring the relationship between the Hebrew cultural tradition and today’s society. Its goal is to spread knowledge of and appreciation for Jewish culture, and welcomes visitors of all backgrounds. The Skirball includes a museum that features rotating exhibitions, as well as performances of music, theater, comedy and film, and literary events. Over half a million visitors come here every year, to enjoy any of the many cultural offerings or to attend any of a number of community events, meetings or traditional life-cycle events.
The central exhibition at the Skirball is Visions and Values: Jewish Life from Antiquity to America, a series of installations, rare artifact exhibits, and interactive media tracing the accomplishments of major figures in Jewish history and tradition through the present day. The most recent addition is Noah’s Ark, an interactive journey through one of the most ancient and essential stories in Judaic lore. Here visitors explore an 8,000 square foot gallery made to resemble the Ark, filled with interactive exhibits and activities. It is an immersive experience, perfect for children, with an emphasis on learning and creativity.
Skirball Cultural Center Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible by bus 233 and rapid line 761 at Sepulveda Blvd./Bergreen Place)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Jewish cultural institution that features a museum and exhibitions, theater, music, comedy, family, and literary programs
- Ticket Prices: Vary by program. Discounts are often available for students, members, and seniors. All exhibitions are free on Thursday. Film screenings are also usually free; additionally, family and dance programs are usually free with museum admission. Shows available on Goldstar.com
- Membership: Membership starts at $55. Benefits include unlimited free general admission to museum, two complimentary passes, free admission to the Hanukkah Family Festival, discounts on Skirball public programs and Learning for Life courses, and invites to members-only events.