New plays, premieres, multicultural works, classics, and the occasional musical can be found at South Coast Repertory, which each year produces six shows on its main stage, five on its smaller second stage and three family shows (Theatre for Young Audiences).
SCR’s holiday traditions include not only the perennial favorite A Christmas Carol, but also La Posada Magica (The Magical Journey), Octavio Solis and Marcos Loya’s imaginative tale about a little girl’s Christmas Eve adventures in her community. La Posada Magica is in English, but it’s infused with Latin music and spirit. SCR encourages other such works with its Hispanic Playwright Project, a program that began in 1986 and since then has workshopped more than 50 pieces by such playwrights as Eduardo Machado, Jose Rivera, Edwin Sanchez, Nilo Cruz, and Caridad Svich (over half of the plays have gone on to receive full productions at the Rep). Other development programs include Collaboration Laboratory, the staged reading series NewSCRipts, and the annual Pacific Playwrights Festival.
Each year, SCR also offers its subscribers theatrical excursions to New York City and London, which include airfare, hotel, sightseeing tours, and tickets to three productions. It’s all for a price, of course, but it’s a great way to enjoy Broadway and the West End with your fellow theater fanatics.
- Public Transportation: Very Good (a short walk from buses 51, 76, 86, 145, 172, 173, 211, 216, 464, and 794 at the South Coast Plaza)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single ticket prices are $20–$62. Discounts are available for full-time students, patrons 25 and under, educators, and seniors. Pay-What-You-Will shows offered occasionally ($7 minimum). Discounts available for groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: Five-Play Segerstrom Stage $155–$275, Four-Play Argyros Stage $124–$220, entire Nine-Play season $279–$495, and Three-Play Theatre for Young Audiences Season $45–$72. Subscription discounts available for seniors, full-time students 25 and under, and first-time subscribers under 35. Benefits include free ticket exchanges, lost-ticket insurance, and $40 off South Coast Rep acting classes.