New Orleans’ home for the regional debuts of such important recent works as The History Boys, Doubt, Grey Gardens, and Dying City, Southern Rep can always be counted on to provide its audiences with provocative titles and relevant world premieres. Originally founded in 1987, the company’s annual season has, in recent years, seen a shift from classics to plays of a more contemporary bent, with a new residency at the city’s infamous cabaret, Le Chat Noir providing a second stage offering eclectic (and often outrageous) fare like Love Child and Zombie Town: a documentary play. Monthly readings of new works from the troupe’s PlayLab series, as well as a challenging training and internship program for students in the arts, keep Southern Rep an important center of NOLA’s cultural scene.
Southern Repertory Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessible: Yes
- Performances/Programs: Performances generally Thursday through Sunday, with some Wednesdays
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $18 – $35, discounts available for students and seniors.
- Subscriptions: 5-Show ($120), 4-Show ($100), and 3-Show ($75), discounted subscriptions available for students and seniors.