Stage West was founded in 1979 by Jerry Russell, on Houston Street in downtown Ft. Worth. Its first performance venue was a 65-seat storefront theatre next to Russell’s European Sandwich Shoppe, and the first production was Edward Albee’s The Zoo Story. Over the decades, the company has risen from its modest beginnings to earn a respected place among U.S. regional theatres by staging a wide range of works – classic American and world drama, plays by Shakespeare and Shaw, as well as contemporary plays (Dead Man’s Cell Phone, This, The Seafarer), musicals (Little Shop of Horrors, The Spitfire Grill), and revues (Putting It Together, Berlin to Broadway With Kurt Weill). It has also presented new works by up-and-coming playwrights, including 12 world premieres. (MP)
Stage West Theatre information
- Public Transportation: Good (steps from buses 4 and 6 at College Avenue/West Vickery Boulevard; a 3-minute walk from bus 1 at Hemphill Street/West Vickery Boulevard; and a 7-minute walk from several buses and the DART train at the Vickery Center/T&P Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 6 shows per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: Thursday night and Sunday matinee (Adult $26; Seniors $20); Friday and Saturday (Adult $30; Seniors $24). Tickets for Students/Under 30 are $15 for any performance. $5 Student Rush tickets may be purchased for any unsold seats 30 minutes before curtain. Prix Fixe Fridays – Every Friday (after the first Friday of each show), $35 per person buys dinner and the show. Pay What You Can – Available seats only an hour before curtain, for two performances of each regular run
- Subscriptions: Gold – all performances ($150; Student/Senior/Teacher $130); Silver – Thursday & matinees only ($130; Student/Senior/Teacher $100)
- Donors: Stage Hand ($50–$99); Designer ($100–$249); Actor ($250–$499); Director ($500–$999); Playwright ($1,000–$2,499); Producer ($2,500–$4,999); Muse ($5,000+). All donors are acknowledged in Stage West’s programs and in the Contributors list.