Focusing on works ‘challenging the thresholds of intolerance and insensitivity,’ Stageworks has been a Tampa institution for nearly thirty years. Presenting five diverse shows each year, Stageworks’ past seasons have included important area premieres of controversial new works (Frozen, The Memory of Water, Stop Kiss) alongside popular comedies (Brighton Beach Memoirs, Greater Tuna) and intimate stagings of classics ranging from Greek Tragedy (Medea) to Noel Coward (Private Lives). Honored for its “Rainbow Tribe” educational initiative, Stageworks brings its craft into inner city Hillsborough schools with a powerful agenda of theatre programming, tackling timely issues from AIDS to gang violence prevention. In January of 2010, Stageworks celebrated a milestone with the groundbreaking on its first permanent theatre home, an 8,000 square foot 99-seat theatre at Grand Central in the downtown Channel District.
- Other Venues: Gorilla Theatre, 4419 N. Hubert Avenue, Tampa
- Public Transportation: Fair for Shimberg; Poor for Gorilla
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Admission: Single ticket prices $24.50, $10 tickets available for students, seniors, and military 30 minutes before show. Group discounts available for parties of 12 or more.
- Subscription/Memberships: Season subscriptions $85 – $103.