(April 12 – October 28, 2012) While not to be confused with the place of William Shakespeare’s birth, Stratford, Ontario, has nonetheless made the most of its name by birthing Canada’s most celebrated annual festival, the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. Stratford presents plays by the Bard, dramas from Euripides to Beckett, classic musicals, and new plays in rep from April to November each year, with workshops, discussion groups, lectures, and concerts adding to the festive atmosphere.
The Stratford Festival attracts many of the world’s finest actors, and luminaries like Christopher Plummer, Peter Ustinov, and Alec Guinness have all graced its stages. Modern-day groundlings worried that they won’t be able to afford the ticket prices for Stratford’s high-quality productions needn’t fear; discount options abound.
Stratford Shakespeare Festival Information
- Venues: Avon Theatre (99 Downie Street); Tom Patterson Theatre (111 Lakeside Drive); Studio Theatre (34 George Street East); and more
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (all theaters)
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 14 shows per season with multiple performances of each. Performance schedule is generally Tuesday–Sunday from April through October
- Admission: Ticket prices are $29–$109. The Play On program provides $20 tickets for people 16–29. The Play Encore program offers discounts of up to 50% off for people 30–35. Sixty $20 tickets available in the balcony for every performance. Senior, student, and youth discounts also available. Half-price Rush sold two hours before each show, if available
- Group Discounts: Discount rates available for groups of 15 or more
- Memberships: Memberships start at $75. Benefits include priority ticket ordering, access to the best seats, discounts, special offers, the member newsletter, and behind-the-scenes events
- Educational/Community Outreach: Educational programs include Birmingham Conservatory for Classical Theatre, courses, teachers conferences, student workshops, scavenger hunts, and tours.