Strathmore is one of the capital area’s most active and comprehensive multi-arts centers, occupying an 11-acre site in Bethesda, Maryland, just outside the capital Beltway. It was founded in 1981 as a non-profit and has presented a plethora of arts programs, from visual art exhibitions to performing arts events to literary lectures and more.
Premiere musical artists of all genres have appeared at Strathmore’s Music Center, which includes a 1,976-seat concert hall and educational facilities. The Mansion at Strathmore is the property’s original structure, dating to 1899, and includes a 100-seat Music Room, the Strathmore Tea Room, the Shop at Strathmore, Gudelsky Concert Pavilion and Gazebo (for outdoor performances) and a Fine Art Gallery.
Resident performing arts organizations at Strathmore include the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (a founding partner), National Philharmonic, Washington Performing Arts Society, Levine School of Music, CityDance Center, and Maryland Classic Youth Orchestra. The Strathmore’s activities include a diverse schedule of performances, exhibitions and literary events, with a variety of educational offerings including arts programs for children, music classes for adults, and visual art classes for all ages.
- Oher Venues: The Mansion at Strathmore, 10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda, Maryland
- Public Transportation: Very good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Programming includes concerts (pop, rock, jazz, musical theater, classical, choral), art exhibitions, lectures, theatrical performances, and other events, as well as festivals, camps, and art classes. Resident partners at the Strathmore include the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, National Philharmonic, Washington Performing Arts Society, Levine School of Music, CityDance Ensemble, Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras, and interPLAY
- Ticket Prices: Vary based on program. Discounted last-call tickets are sometimes available. Sign up for Strathmore’s mail list for special offers
- Group Discounts: Discounts are given for groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: Create-your-own subscription by choosing four or more events. Ticket exchanges free for subscribers; $5 fee for non-subscribers
- Membership: Membership to Strathmore (for two) starts at $75. Benefits include invites to special receptions, a complimentary summer parking pass for free outdoor concerts, a 10% discount on Tea Room reservations, and a 10% discount on gift-shop merchandise.