(June-August) A Berkshires estate that serves as the summer home for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Tanglewood welcomes 350,000 musicians and music lovers annually for a wealth of concerts, seminars, and other events. Tanglewood audiences have enjoyed the American premieres of compositions by Shostakovich, Britten, and Pierre Boulez, and the festival continues to showcase the greatest talents of the classical-music world, as well as a few popular music notables.
The jewel of the festival is the Tanglewood Music Center, founded by BSO music director and beloved teacher Serge Koussevitzky in 1940. The Center has educated approximately 20% of the musicians currently playing in America’s major symphony orchestras and TMC alumni include some of the most distinguished conductors, composers, singers, and musicians of the 20th and 21st centuries. Notable among them are Leonard Bernstein, Zubin Mehta, Seiji Ozawa, Michael Tilson Thomas, Lorin Maazel, Ned Rorem, Lukas Foss, Leontyne Price, and Dawn Upshaw.
Tanglewood Music Festival (Lenox, MA) Information
- Public Transportation: Good (Tanglewood Express motorcoach service is available for many performances at a cost of $30 roundtrip)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: This summer music festival features the Boston Symphony Orchestra in residence, as well as many other musicians and music groups. Performance schedule varies
- Admission: $18–$89. A 50% discount on Friday evening lawn tickets is available for students 13 and older. Lawn free for children under 12
- Group Discounts: Group discounts are available for parties of 25 or more
- Subscriptions: Lawn Pass Books, featuring tickets for lawn seating at 11 performances, cost $170–$180. Open-rehearsal subscriptions allow subscribers to attend four ($64) or eight ($128) rehearsals
- Educational/Community Outreach: Education is a major component of Tanglewood, which includes a summer academy for advanced musical study, concerts for kids, and conversations with artists. Music seminars are offered for $100–$150, with one additional seminar offered free of charge.