The aptly named Tapestry Dance Company specializes in tap dance while also incorporating a varied mix of ballet, jazz, and modern dance styles into their work. Their annual Soul to Sole Festival in June is the highlight of their performance season, bringing resident and guest performers together in a festival of syncopated rhythms.
Founded in 1989 by tap dancer Acia Gray and ballet/jazz artist Deirdre Strand, the company has skilfully carved a niche for itself in both the Austin dance scene and the national tap scene. The company has earned numerous “Best Of” awards from The Austin Chronicle and are recipients of the prestigious National Endowment for the Arts American Masterpieces award.
Tapestry Dance Information
- Other venues: Long Center for the Performing Arts, Boyd Vance Theater at the Carver Center.
- Public Transportation: Varies depending on venue.
- Handicapped Accessibility: Varies depending on venue.
- Performance/Programs: Approximately eight performances in the Tapestry on the Fringe series at the Salvage Vanguard Theater. Other offerings include seasonal productions, open houses, informal demo performances and the annual Soul to Sole Festival.
- Ticket Prices: Most performances are free to the public, with the exception of special events such as the Soul to Sole Festival (events usually between $15-35).