The Atlanta Symphony, led by musical director Maestro Robert Spano (Musical America’s 2008 Conductor of the Year), offers a strong classical tradition mixed with new ideas and repertoire. Many offerings are suitable to all ages and tastes. In addition to its main series and family concerts, the ASO also offers a pops series and free community concerts in the parks.
The ASO is dedicated to expanding its audience throughout the community, particularly youth, through the Coca-Cola Family Concerts series, school outreach programs, and free memberships to ASO’s Kid’s Club with games, contests, and giveaways. The younger affiliate, the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, features 120 high-school-age members from throughout Atlanta and northern Georgia. The ASYO has three performances of its own each year.
The ASO frequently commissions new works, believing in the importance of contemporary repertoire. Recent projects have included commissions for video and animated installations in the concert hall and video interviews with living composers.
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from MARTA buses 37 and 110 at Peachtree Street NE/16th Street NE)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: More than 200 per year
- Ticket Prices: Each performance is priced individually. Discounts are frequently available for students and seniors. For selected performances, tickets are available for $10 at the Woodruff Arts Center box office. Tickets can only be purchased the day of a performance for that day or evening’s performance. Payment is cash only. Discounts are available for most concerts for groups of 10 or more. If you cannot attend a performance, simply exchange tickets at least one hour before the show
- Subscriptions: Multiple options are available; Classical, Pops, Family, Youth Orchestra, Special Presentations, Holiday Music, and a Compose-Your-Own series of six concerts. Subscribers may exchange tickets at no charge
- Membership: Basic annual membership/donor fee begins at $50. Members receive an ASO membership card, 10% discount at the Atlanta Symphony store, invitation for two to members-only open rehearsals, and invitations for two to Starbucks Lectures of Note series
- Other Benefits: Donors at higher levels receive tickets to appreciation concerts, invitations to opening-night receptions, invitations to travel with the ASO, and exclusive use of the elegant Robert Shaw Room for a personal reception or event.