The non-profit Barclay Theater Operating Company, formed in 1986, is the result of a public/private partnership between the University of California at Irvine, the City of Irvine, and numerous private interests. Entering its third decade of existence, the Barclay Theater has become known for programming high quality performances in theater, dance, music and spoken word, with a particular interest in the diversity of cultures represented in and around the community of Irvine. The Theater also serves a number of local community organizations, also hosting numerous public events and university programs.
Cheng Hall, seating 756, is the Barclay’s performance space, known for its great acoustics and atmosphere. Many of Orange County’s major arts organizations are hosted here, including the Philharmonic Society of Orange County and Festival Ballet Theater. The Barclay also hosts many renowned national and international performing arts organizations, in a variety of genres.
In addition to its programming efforts, the Barclay Theater offers a number of educational outreach programs including lectures, demonstrations, performances in local schools, and a short story contest for young authors in partnership with the Orange County Public Library.
Irving Barclay Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (easily accessible by buses 59, 79, 175, 178, 213, and 473 at Campus-University Center)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The Barclay is 750-seat theater located near the University of California at Irvine campus. Programming includes ballet, modern dance, jazz, classical and choral music, world-music artists, vocalists, chamber music, musical theater, film, family shows, opera, and more. Shows available on Goldstar.com
- Ticket Prices: Vary by program. See website for schedule and details
- Subscriptions/Membership: NEXT@thebarclay is a group aimed at young professionals ($60 for individuals, $100 for couples). NEXT membership includes discount tickets to select performances and invites to special events.