Founded in 1972, the Chicago Moving Company is known for its choreographic innovations and its support for experienced and emerging artists. Artistic Director Nana Shineflug has won innumerable awards for her work as the company’s leader, creating work that reflects her passion for Far Eastern culture, cosmology, and mathematics as well as her use of new music.
Ever since its inception, CMC has been one of Chicago’s treasures. In addition to performing regularly throughout the city, the company tours nationally and internationally. CMC is also known for its strong support for helping emerging choreographers and contributing to community events, including arts education.
CMC is an Arts Partner in Residence in Roscoe Village’s Hamlin Park Theater, an intimate black box theater housed in a 1910 prairie-style field house that holds approximately 80 people. The famed three-week-long Other Dance Festival is held here every autumn, featuring new work produced by the company in order to provide local artists with greater visibility while offering the community examples of a myriad of dance perspectives. (MK)
The Chicago Moving Company Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (a 3-minute walk from bus 50 at West Wellington Avenue/North Damen Avenue; a 4-minute walk from bus 77 at North Hoyne Avenue/West Belmont Avenue; and a 9-minute walk from bus 49 at West Barry Avenue/North Western Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: More than 20 performances per season, plus the annual Other Dance Festival every autumn
- Ticket Prices: Range from Free–$15
- Membership: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated.