The Choral Arts Society of Portland is made up of three different choirs: the Masterworks Chorus, a 150-member ensemble that performs regularly with the Portland Symphony Orchestra; the Choral Art Singers, which performs four Christmas at the Cathedral concerts during the holiday season; and the Choral Art Camerata, a 28-voice a cappella ensemble which specializes in choral chamber music from the Renaissance onward.
The Society operates under the direction of Dr. Robert Russell, a respected Maine conductor. Some of the CAS regular concerts include Christmas at the Cathedral and an annual CAS Messiah Sing-Along. CAS regularly commissions works from contemporary composers and collaborates with several other notable Maine arts organizations on a regular basis. Tickets are at the high end of the spectrum for choral concerts, but the quality of the music is unparalleled in the Portland area.
The Choral Art Society Information
- Venues: Immanuel Baptist Church, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessible: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: 10-15 performances per season, split among the performing ensembles
- Admission: Single tickets are $26 – $76. Senior and student ticket discounts sometimes available. Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Membership: Yes. Benefits may include concert tickets, program listing and others.