Named after its founders, dedicated art collectors Louis and Charlotte Hyde, the Hyde Collection is comprised mostly of works acquired by that couple over five decades. The Hyde House (the former residence of the Hydes) opened to the public in 1963 as per a trust dedicating the property and collection to the community of Glen Falls, NY. In 1984 it was included on the National Registry of Historic Places, and underwent a number of expansions over the ensuing years, adding new gallery wings, storage space, a museum shop and an auditorium. It underwent a thorough renovation in 2004, and today continues an active schedule of exhibitions, in addition to its permanent collection.
The Collection contains a survey of paintings by important artists throughout history, including many of the Old Masters (Botticelli, Raphael, Rembrandt), masters of the 19th and 20th centuries (Cezanne, Picasso, Renoir, vanGogh), and important American artists. In addition to paintings, the Hyde Collection features works in a diversity of media, including works on paper, sculpture, textiles, furniture and ceramics. The Hyde’s Discovery Program offers a way for youngsters to develop an appreciation for the arts; with repeat visits, children learn more about the history of art, how it is made, and even receive supplies and instruction to create their own. Additional art workshops and studio classes are available on a regular basis, and the gallery even offers a birthday pARTy program for young enthusiasts.
The Hyde Collection Information
- Public Transportation: Good (Bus 3 from the McDonald St. and Maple St. stop is a 4-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. A wheelchair is available upon request
- Hours: Jan. 1 – May 31: Wednesday–Saturday 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Sunday Noon–5:00 p.m. Closed Monday, Tuesday and most national holidays. June 1 – Dec. 31: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Sunday Noon-5:00; closed Monday and most national holidays.
- Admission: $8 general admission; seniors (60+) $6; students $4. Children twelve and under, active duty military and their families, and Hyde Collection members are free. General admission is free on Wednesdays. Special pricing for major exhibitions may apply
- Tour: Docent-led tours are offered Thursday–Sunday at 2:00 and 3:00 p.m., as well as on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and Noon. There is a $3 charge per person in addition to regular admission. School and group tours are also available
- Membership: Individual membership is $60; Dual membership is $75; Student (w/ID), educator/working artist (w/ID or resume), and senior (60+) memberships are $40. All members receive free or discounted admission and advance notice for exhibitions, openings, events, programs, and trips; a subscription to The Hyde Newsletter and Members Make Museums emails; a Museum Store discount; reciprocal membership at 25 northeastern museums; an Annual Report listing; a museum tote bag (new members only); and priority funding of transportation costs and discounted facility rentals for your school tours and programs at The Hyde (Educators only).