One of the oldest outdoor homes for musical theatre in the country, the MUNY (Municipal Theatre Association of St. Louis) is also one of the largest. Boasting a staggering 11,000 seats, the MUNY began life in 1916 as summer spot for Shakespeare’s As You Like It. Nearly one hundred years later, the company is still going strong, with a revered lineup of seven musicals each season.
Pulling from the popular canon of Broadway classics (Annie, My Fair Lady, The Wizard of Oz, and West Side Story being among the most repeated shows in the theatre’s history), productions at the MUNY are epic, with grand scale production values, a lush orchestra, and a rotating roster of some of entertainment’s biggest name stars. Featuring extensive grounds, with a popular Plaza picnic area (complete with pre-show entertainment), loyal audiences get the extra bonus of dining at the Culver Pavilion, an exclusive restaurant reserved just for season subscribers.
Main stage productions play from June to August, for one week for each production, but fans can catch one of the year-round performances given by the talented Muny Kids and Muny Teens: youth based performance troupes giving up to 75 performances annually at events throughout the region.
The Muny Information
- Public Transportation: Very good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: Every day of the week.
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $9 – $64. Discounts available for groups of 20 or more.
- Free seats: Available for every Muny performance. There are approximately 1,500 free seats in the last nine rows of the theatre, available on a first come, first served basis. The entrances to the free seating area are located at the top of the theatre seating area. The free seat gates open at 7:00pm each evening.
- Subscription/Memberships: 7-Show Season Subscriptions; $49 – $455. Subscriber benefits include membership in the Culver Pavilion for pre-show buffets and ticket exchanges.