The Museum of Contemporary Art is an offshoot of Miami’s Center of Contemporary Art, which opened in 1981 in a small, single gallery space in North Miami. In 1996 it was expanded to a 23,000 square foot facility designed by renowned architect Charles Gwathmey, in conjunction with Miami architectural firm Gilabert-Navia.
In 2007, MOCANOMI expanded further, adding 20,000 sq. ft. to its facility and remodeling 4,000 sq. ft. of its original space. In addition to augmenting its exhibition area, the addition provided space for an education wing as well as expanded public areas and art storage space. The main exhibition space is 9000 square feet and features moveable walls to accommodate the museum’s constantly changing exhibit schedule. An outdoor courtyard is available for music performances (MOCA features a jazz and chamber music concert series), film screenings and large installations.
Much of MOCANOMI’s focus is on exhibiting new work by today’s leading contemporary artists; between 8 and 10 exhibitions are featured annually. It also has a formidable permanent collection, established in 1995 and now containing approximately 600 pieces of art.
The museum offers a number of educational programs aimed toward fostering an appreciation for contemporary art in the community. 2009 saw the beginning of the MOCA by Moonlight program, which offers contemporary art lectures, artist forums and hands-on adult art classes. Youth art education programs are also available, including after-school drawing classes, hands-on family-oriented art workshops and a museum studies magnet program in conjunction with North Miami’s public schools.
Museum of Contemporary Art Information
- Public Transportation: Good (easily accessible by Miami-Dade Transit buses 9, 10, 16, and 75)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday 11 a.m.–5 p.m., Wednesday 1 p.m.–9 p.m., Sunday noon–5 p.m., closed Monday. Jazz at MOCA is presented the last Friday of each month 7–10 p.m.
- Admission: $5; students and seniors w/ID $3; children, North Miami residents, and city employees free. Admission is by donation every Tuesday
- Basic Tour: Available on a daily basis and complimentary with admission
- Membership: Individual membership starts at $50 and includes unlimited free membership to MOCA Galleries, members-only exhibition previews and receptions, invitations to MOCA educational and public programs, a members-only breakfast at MOCA programs (private tours of MOCA exhibitions), members-only discounts on educational programs, a subscription to the MOCA newsletter and members’ e-newsletter, and a 10% discount in the MOCA shop. An artist/student/educator membership ($30) and additional custom membership options are also available.